Mt. Carmel College of Teacher Education for Women, established in 1953 is the First Aided Women’s Training College in Kerala. It is run by the Institute of the Carmelite Sisters of St. Teresa, Ernakulam and is affiliated to the Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam. The sanctioned strength of students of the college is 120. The institution that had been accredited by NAAC in 2000 was reaccredited
with ‘A’ Grade in 2008.
Mount Carmel College of Teacher Education for Women, formerly known as Mount Carmel Training College belongs to the C.S.S.T Institute founded by Mother Teresa of St. Rose of Lima in
the year 1887. Steered by the vision that education and enlightenment of women is necessary for the progress and well being of the society, Mother Teresa worked with a spirit of dedication and enthusiasm to uplift women by starting schools and colleges for them. Being deeply interested in promoting higher studies and the training of committed teachers for the integral development of students, Mother Veronica, the first Mother General of the C.S.S.T. Institute launched a project for starting a teacher training college
With the approval and support of the then Mother General Mother Alphonsus, Mount Carmel Training College came into existence on the Ist of June 1953. In 2006, it was raised to the status of a P.G. centre with 25 students undergoing the M.Ed programme. From 2011 onwards the intake of M.Ed students has been raised to 35. The institution celebrated its Diamond Jubilee in August 2013.