On 28th January 1859 a baby girl was born to Mr. Peter and Mrs. Mary D`lima, a Eurasian Family of Madras, whom at baptism they named Mary Grace. Grace did her education under the care of the Presentation sisters, George town, Madras. She passed Matriculation with distinction and Teacher`s Higher Grade Examination and started her career as a teacher.
Mary Grace grew to be a great educator. When she was 21 years of age. She was given charge of St. Joseph`s school for girls in Alleppey. While working under the guidance of the Carmelite Missionaries she received from the Lord the call to be a religious and became a Carmelite Tertiary, taking the name of Sr. Teresa of St. Rose of Lima and laid the foundation of a new congregation for women in Ernakulam in April 24th 1888.
Mother Teresa devoted her excellent qualities of head and heart in fulfilling the mission she was entrusted with. She started three schools including an industrial school for her orphan children, cared for many destitute and abandoned, sheltered wayward women and initiated a well planned programme to rehabilitate. To secure medical care for these destitute she started dispensary securing the services of a qualified doctor. Even the criminals in prison were not excluded from her compassionate love. Her vision reached far beyond and envisaged the need for a college for women to strengthen their faith and empower them through education, effectively to contribute their services to the human society.
Mother Teresa our beloved foundress died in a railway accident. But her death was not the end of anything she started. Astonishing was its life and growth, because God was with it. Orphanages, industrial schools, dispensaries, home for the aged and wayward women, educational institutions, all continued to function. Orphanages became children`s home, industrial schools have become technical schools, primary schools were raised to Middle, Secondary and Higher Secondary schools, First grade colleges were opened with post graduate courses in all modern disciplines, social work branched off into women cell programmes for the empowerment of women. The institute itself expanded to other states in India and abroad, to America, Germany, Argentina and the Arab countries. Today we have three first grade colleges, one College of Education, several Higher Secondary schools, High Schools, Middle, Primary and Nursery schools, 5 homes for the aged, several Children`s homes, dispensaries, crÃ¨ches, rehabilitation centre and one Hospital for the terminally ill cancer patients. The educational apostolate has enlightened and empowered generations of young women from all strata of society giving them a sense of direction and responsibility towards the country and their fellowmen.